Creating an App with Conservify in the fight to conserve wildlife
Our client, Conservify, wanted an application for wildlife crime investigators in the field. The application would be used by E.A.G.L.E., an activist group that fights traffickers, poachers, and corruption in East Africa.
Investigators are constantly finding evidence in the field but they have no way of sharing and analyzing the data collected by wildlife activist groups wanting to work together.
The aggregation of data and the ability to visual the data in different ways will help track and identify patterns between the crimes reported.
Research and discovery
• Comparative & competitive analysis key findings:
We talked to the main stakeholder about possible software they could use in order to achieve their needs and came up with a list that we used to do an analysis of main features. The main takeaways from this analysis were that existing software was hard to use, and cost prohibitive.
To better understand the users, we had to discover the common thread between investigators and other activists who will be using the application. The persona also helped us to design with the user in mind. What are their pain points? In what context would they be using this app?
• Information architecture:
We created a application map once we determined the features from our previous research. The site map helped us visualize where all the pages would live within the app. This is integral in the navigation of the application and must feel intuitive to the users.
We designed it in a way that would make it easy for the developers, should they want to incorporate more features in later iterations.
• User Flow:
The user flow shoes a journey an investigator would take throughout the app to accomplish his task. The flow shows the possible actions that the user can take and highlights pages that have options for different actions. The user flow is tremendously helpful for us to understand the usefulness and accessibility of certain features.
Early sketches and wireframes
Simple sketches were made just to get the idea down of the user flow and how the user would move through the application. I wanted to keep it as simple yet still bold for usability and visibility outdoors. The context in which the investigator operates informs the designs.
Here are a few screens from our medium-fi wireframes that Tien designed. It helped us solve some navigational problems.
At the end of the project we delivered the initial design research and a clickable prototype of the first version of Lionguard.